1/2 cup yellow moong dal
1/4 cup masoor dal
1/4 cup toor dal
3-4 flakes garlic crushed
1" piece ginger crushed or grated
4 green chillies finely chopped
1 stalk curry leaves
1 tbsp. coriander finely chopped
2 onions cut into rings or very thin strips
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
2 pinches asafoetida ( Hing)
salt to taste
3 tbsp. ghee
1/2 tsp. each cumin & mustard seeds
- Wash dals together. Drain water. Heat the ghee in a saucepan and fry the
onion till dark brown and crisp.
- Drain out with a spoon. Remove 2 tsps. Ghee from the saucepan and keep
aside. Add ginger and garlic to the rest.
- Fry for a minute, add dals and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add 3-3 1/2 cups water.
Transfer to a cooker container.
- Add the turmeric to the dal, and pressure cook till done. (Approx.3 whistles)
Cool cooker and remove the dal. Stir gently.
- Transfer to serving dish, add chopped coriander and fried onions. Reheat the
ghee kept aside, add seeds, asafoetida, and curry leaves.
- Pour over dal while spluttering. Stir gently. Serve hot with steamed rice or