Lamb pieces 800 gms.
Dry ginger powder 1 tbsp.
Cinnamon 2 no.
Cloves 6 - 8 no.
Black peppercorn 5 - 8 no.
Black cardamom 4 no.
Curd (yogurt) 1 cup
Coriander powder 1 tbsp.
Aniseed powder 2 tsp.
Asafoetida (Hing) a pinch
Kashmiri red chili powder
Ghee/Oil 4 tbsp.
Salt As per taste
1. Clean, wash and cut lamb into medium sized pieces.
2. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add asafoetida, cinnamon, cloves, black peppercorns and cardamom. Saute for half a minute.
3. Add lamb pieces and cook on a medium flame, stirring constantly till lamb pieces get a reddish brown color. This may take 12-15 minutes.
4. Sprinkle a little water and repeat cooking of lamb for 12-15 minutes on a slow flame. Make sure to stir constantly and scrape all the sediments from the bottom of the pan.
5. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, aniseed powder, dry ginger powder and salt.
6. Add beaten Curd/Yogurt and 2 cups of water. Cook covered till lamb is tender.
7. Traditional Rogan Josh has a thin gravy and has a thick layer of fat/oil on top. This dish is enjoyed best with steaming hot boil rice.