1 cup yellow moong dal
1 bunch fresh spinach chopped fine
1 tsp. ginger grated
1/2 tsp. garlic grated
4 green chillies
1 tbsp. coriander chopped fine
1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. clove-cinnamon powder.
1/2 tsp. each cumin and mustard seeds
salt to taste
2 tbsp. ghee
- Wash and pressure cook dal in two cups water. Cool, remove, drain and keep aside the top water of dal.
- Remove two tbsp thick dal and keep aside. Beat the remaining dal with a hand whipper, adding the water that was kept aside.
the green chilli and ginger together. Make a paste of all the dry powders in
1/4 cup water.Keep
Heat ghee in a saucepan and add the seeds. Add ginger garlic and stir. Add asafoetida, mint, masala paste and stir for a minute.
- Add jaggery, tamarind water and stir. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add beaten dal. Boil for 6-7 minutes. Check taste for salt and spiciness.
- Garnish with chopped coriander. To be served with hot steamed rice.
- To serve, place one serving of rice on a plate. Top with one tsp. of thick dal kept aside. Lace with 1/2 tsp. Desi ghee. Serve along with a serving of the dal.