Mutton 1 1/4 kg ( cut into pieces)
Onions 3 medium
Curd 1 1/2 cups
Ghee 4 tbsp
Milk 1/4 cup
Saffron 1 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Almonds and raisins 10-15
Lime juice 2 tbsp
Garlic cloves 10
Green chillies 4
Coriander leaves chopped 1 cup
Salt as per taste.
- Slice the onions and fry in ghee until golden brown and remove from the ghee.
- Soak the saffron in a little water.
- Grind the ginger , garlic, chillies and corinader leaves into a paste with a little salt.
- Boil the mutton in sufficient water adding salt and the ground paste to it. When boiled , drain and keep aside.
- Put the garam masala in the ghee and fry the boiled mutton.
- Then add half of the fried onions, curd, chilli powder, milk and half the nuts.
- Cook till the gravy is thick. Keep aside.
- Boil the rice in sufficient water with salt, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns and cardamoms.
- When the rice is half cooked, add lime juice and cook till tender, then strain through a sieve.
- Heat some ghee in a wok/vessel, put some rice, then a layer of the mutton curry and a little saffron water.
- Put the remaining fried onions over it and then another layer of rice and the saffron water.
- Heat the rest of the ghee and pour it over the rice.
- Decorate with almonds and raisins and cover tightly.
- Let it simmer on low heat till done.
- Take the lid off just before serving.