250 gm Tuvar dal
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tbsp Oil
250 gm Tomatoes ( finely chopped)
2 Green chillies ( Slit lengthwise)
8 curry leaves
50 gm Tamrind ( soaked in water and squeeze to make a pulp)
A handful of chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 dried red chillies
A pinch of asafoetida
- Dry roast dal until slightly brown. Pressure cook with turmeric powder and enough water till dal is soft.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add the tomatoes, green chillies and curry leaves. Fry well.
- Add cooked dal, tamarind pulp and coriander leaves and boil for a few minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and asafoedita.
- When the seeds start to crackle, stir tempering into the dal and serve hot.
Note -: Pappu implies any lentil based dish and can include Tuvar dal( Kand pappu) or Moong dal ( Pesara pappu), sometimes cooked with a vegetables or greens.