250 gm. parwal, quartered lengthways
250 gm. potato, peeled and sliced into fingers
1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced.
2 tablespoon mustard oil (other oils will also do).
1 teaspoon cumin seeds or mustard seeds
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
1 dry red chilli, broken up
1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated.
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
1 teaspoon coriander powder.
1/4 tsp. red chilli powder (adjust to taste).
1 teaspoon salt.
1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- Place vegetables in a bowl and add garlic, salt and all the spices, except garam masala. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the mustard oil in a wok or karahi.
- Add the dry red chilli and cumin seeds and wait until seeds splutter. Be careful not to let them burn.
- Add onions and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the vegetable mix and stir fry for a minute or two.
- Now lower the heat,cover and cook until the potatoes are cooked, stirring from time to time. If the vegetables are fresh, no extra water needs to be added; otherwise sprinkle some water, to it from catching.
- Sprinkle the garam masala. Raise heat and stir-fry, until all liquid is absorbed and the vegetables look shiny. Turn heat off.
- Serve with Plain Paratha.