1 cup White rice, soaked in water for about 3-4 hrs
1/2 cup Grated coconut, fresh/frozen
2 Ripe Bananas, mashed
1/2 cup Jaggery
1 tbsp Sugar (optional)
1 tsp Powdered Elaichi
- Grind rice, coconut, jaggery and banana to a smooth paste; Make sure to add very little water while grinding. Add sugar, elaichi powder and mix well.
- Heat the appam pan on low- medium heat.
- Add a couple of drops on oil in each depression of the pan; Fill the depressions with the prepared batter. Cook uncovered on low heat - increasing the heat might burn the outer parts of the unniappam while the inside is still uncooked.
- Turn unniappam with the help of a spoon and cook on both sides.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels; Serve hot and enjoy!!
Note: Sugar is an optional ingredient. Adding some sugar gives a golden brown color to the unniappam.